The Creative union "Laboratory", Moscow, is a russian non-profit public organization, working in the field of contemporary and traditional art.The Field of its activity is visual arts, music, performance arts, cinema, photo and videoart.
"Laboratory" is a coordination- and research centre of contemporary russian art.
In May 1996 Creative union celebrates its three years of existence. For this time the whole number of the projects is carried out:
- international art exhibitions, conferences and symposiums,
- educational and publishing programs, international festivals and new music tours,
- cultural exchange initiatives.
The activity of "Laboratory" is carried out at support of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation and foreign cultural institutions, such as Goethe Institute, Swedish Institute, British Council, Institute Français, Citizen Exchange Council International Partners (USA), Open Society Institute / Soros Foundation and Soros Center for Contemporary Art, Program " Ars Baltica ".
The head office of the creative union "Laboratory" places in Moscow and has branches in St.-Petersburg, Ekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk, Smolensk, Vologda, Arkhangelsk, Kiev and Odessa (Ukraine), Vilnius (Lithuania), New York (USA), London (Great Britain), Berlin, Hamburg and Cologne (Germany), Zürich (Switzerland), Tokyo (Japan).
Irina Basileva, Constanze Binder, Dmitry Butkevich, Nikolay Dmitriev, Olga Kozlova, Alexandra Korneva, Jane Lombard, Vladimir Miller, Tatyana Mogilevskaya, Cornelie Müller-Gödecke, Dmitry Rezvan, Yury Sobolev, Charlie Steiner, Rainer Haarmann
"Laboratory" concentrates on the following projects:
The Creative union "Laboratory" is open for collaboration in any fields of its activity
The annual international exchange art project KULTURDORF exists since 1994. In 1995 within the framework of the project, in St.-Petersburg (Tsarskoe Selo), exhibitions and concerts " Baby Go Boom ", " Baby Doll " (female artists from Russia, Sweden and Poland), "Ingermanland" and " Trauma of Spine " have passed.
For Spring-Fall 1996 we plan to organize photoworkshop, architectural workshop, performance and new improvising music workshop (Russia - Germany - Sweden - Poland - USA - Japan - Slovenia - Switzerland - Great Britain - Netherlands). KULTURDORF is the unique project, enabling to organize joint work of the foreign and russian artists on the territory of Russia.The financing of the project is carried out by the Russian Ministry of Culture (Russia), the Ministry of Culture of the Schleswig-Holstein (Germany), the Swedish Institute (Sweden), the Baltic Cultural Centre (Gdansk, Poland), the " Pro Helvetia " Foundation (Switzerland) and the Citizen Exchange Council International Partners (USA).
- In the spring 1997 in Moscow Central House of Artist, the first festival of new and old improvising music will be held. The musicians from USA, Germany, Great Britain, Holland, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, China, Australia, Russia and other countries will participate in this festival.
For the first time in our country such a festival will unit on one stage the musicians, who represents traditional art of their countries and adepts of new music.
The project gets financial support from the Russian Ministry of Culture (Russia), the Swedish Institute (Sweden), the Goethe Institute (Germany), the British Council (Great Britain) and the Trust for Mutual Understanding (USA).
- The program " New Territories of Culture " is carried for six years now. Within the framework of program festivals of new art
"Unidentified Movement " (Volgograd, 1987-1992), "Art Vigils" (Smolensk, 1991-1992), " New Territories " (Kiev, 1993), "Old and New" (Kyzyl, 1993), " New Territories of Art " (Krasnoyarsk, 1993), "Drum Dream" (Ekaterinburg, 1994), "KUKART" (Tsarskoe Selo, 1993-1995), "Art Reality" (St.-Petersburg, 1995) were organized.
Also a number of concerts and exhibitions in many Russian provincial cities (Arkhangelsk, Vologda, Nishny Novgorod, Odessa, Smolensk, Ekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Khabarovsk) will be annually carried out.
partners of the the New Territories of Culture " are the Russian Ministry of culture (Russia), the Ekaterinburg and Chelyabinsk Contemporary Art Centres, the Krasnoyarsk Cultural Historical Centre and Administration, the Theatre Academy "Interstudio", the Arkhangelsk Contemporary Art Centre, the Nizhniy Novgorod Centre "Federation", Novosibirsk, Smolensk, Vologda and Odessa Philarmonic.
- Exhibition project " American Experience " (the working name) representsworks of the main american artists, created in the 90's, determining a modern situation in american art. The contemporary american art culture is unknown to the russian spectator. One important point of the project is the educational program, including a series of lectures, workshops and discussions.
Result of the project will be the edition of a book with texts of the participants of an exhibition, pictures of work and photodocumentation. The Financing of the project will come from the National Contemporary Art Centre of the Ministry of Culture of Russia, the Russian-American Press and Information Centre, the Al Bario Museum (New York, USA), the Soros Foundation, the Chase Manhattan Bank Corporation (USA), and the Natan Cammings Foundation (USA).
- Project " New photo: creativity and technology " - exhibition - seminar. The exhibition allocates "a new photo" from " today's photo". The seminar is devoted to questions of a ratio of adaptability to russian manufacture and creativity.
It will take place in autumn 1996 - spring 1997. Organizations, interested in support of the project is the Russian Ministry of culture.
- Charitable children's art studio "Holiday". Study of a history of world culture on experimental synthetic system. A three-year course for children 9 - 12 years. The studies include visitings museums, study of monuments of architecture of Moscow and other cities of Russia. Exhibitions of children's work will be organized. The lessons of Studio will be carried out at support of the Stroganov High Art Applied School.
- The Educational Project " United Art Workshops " (UAW) exists since 1994. A basis of the project is the creation of new viable structure of art training. It unites innovative initiatives, arising in the last years in Moscow. The project creates conditions for solving of social problems, particulary inclusion of the young artists and curators in real art process, approach of training to practice, decides a problem of employment of youth, enables professional reorientation and social adaptation of youth. Structure and gear of work UAW: the process of training is under construction on the basis of functioning in parallel mode author's discipline of workshops and base theoretical and practical courses. In educational process the russian and foreign professors are actively included.The realization of the project has become possible by active assistance of the Contemporary Art Centre, the Moscow State Conservatory, the Soros Foundation, the Kultur Kontact Fund, Free Workshops and TV-Gallery.
- The annual festival of the audiovisual projects is held in the spring - summer 1997 in Krasnoyarsk Cultural-historical Centre. A task of the project is an opportunity of displays of the best programs of foreign videofestivals. Since first festival participation of the artists, working with new media from Siberian region is supposed. This project will be carried out at support of the Krasnoyarsk Cultural-historical Centre, the Institute of Technology of Art (Moscow, Russia), the Cinema museum (Moscow, Russia), the Goethe Institute (Germany), the British Council (Great Britain), the French Institute (France), AfontovoTV company (Krasnoyarsk).
You can contact Laboratory at the following adress:
Zorge str., 28-77
Moscow, 125252, Russia
or by email:
These pages have been uploaded May 19, 1996. They will be completed in the next time. I am open for all suggestions.
You can find out more about me here.